audio editing software is a piece of software used for production, recording, sound design, mixing, and editing and exporting audio. if you want to work with Audio/sound on a computer then you’ll almost certainly need audio editing software.
there are tons of different audio editing software to choose from, so how do you choose. We have researched 15 of the most popular audio editing software’s on the market looking at the similarities, differences, and pros and cons of each one.
the aim is to help answer the question of what is the best audio editing software’s for 2021.
So let’s start, here is a list of topper
Number one and hands-down winner in our opinion has to be, the best all-around audio editor on the market is adobe audition CC. yes, the Big Daddy of audio editors has to be an adobe audition, not just because you can zoom in and get laser-accurate with your audio editing, in the waveform view but it got some great native effects.
in the effects menu compressors, echoes, and EQS modulators, so much more including some rather nice and smooth reverb effects. but that’s not the only thing that’s not the only reason that Adobe Audition CC is number one on our list of best audio editing software.
if you go into the multi-track view it’s a whole new world. you can drag in so many different bits and bobs here, and mix your audio creation using sound effects and voiceover and of course adding different effects to different tracks.
- Adobe audition provides you a robust digital audio workstation for getting you a layered sound.
- Adobe provides you the multi-track recording.
- It provides 12k free sound effects.
- Adobe provides over 250 cartoons as well comic sound to add some animated flavor to your audio.
- It also provides a gaming masterpiece, with more sound effects like gun sound, truck sound car crash sound, etc…
- We can remove noise like background, beeps, and hisses from audio tracks by following a special frequency display.
- With the adobe sensei feature, you can edit remix automatically to what extent you want.
- Windows: Windows 7,8,10(64bit), 4GB Ram, 4GB hard disk space.
- Mac: macOS (10.11, 10.12, 10.13), 4GB Ram, 4Gb hard disk space.
And number 2 it has to be a DAW that supports MIDI and creation if you want to get started with or you want to create a hit record, then Logic Pro is the package for you. If you want to get serious about your creation then you want to be looking at logic Pro.
yes, Logic Pro can do MIDI mapping so you can map all of your MIDI instruments into Logic Pro. You can even delete and create different notes you can have your drummers generated algorithmically.
by Apple’s fantastic Logic Pro algorithms you can bring in loops, from the apple loop packs. There is everything a creator could need. so if it’s about creating number 2 on our list of great audio editors Logic Pro
Logic Pro X can do pretty much anything you want it to you and includes the Flex pitch feature Apple’s version of logic pro simple workflow and layout. especially for those who have uses free little sibling Garage Band. It can only be used on a Mac perhaps because of this it doesn’t have quite as many resources as Ableton and an FL but there is still plenty to learn from Logic Pro X.
Logic pro x comes with a full package and purchase one version that is full version and for an affordable price.
- Clean, organized, and beautiful interface.
- Clear setup and fantastic plugins.
- Logic pro x provides a regular update for all their products.
- Logic pro x can make your editing very simple, by providing fantastic editing features.
- Intuitive key commands provide some shortcut key commands to save your time, for doing work quickly.
- To examine new features, to understand tools, It provides pro demo projects which are helpful for beginners and professionals also.
- It provides various types of drummer sounds, with really very good quality sound.
- macOS 10.15.7 or later
- 6GB of storage space for minimum requirement/70GB for full library installation
- IOS 13.1 or later
- Compatible with iPad, iPod, and iPhone.
You cannot miss the audacity of the list of fantastic audio editing software, why because it’s free and it’s so easy to use. just highlight the waveform delete or move around with the move tool so you can change the amplitude.
so there is just so much that you can do intuitively with audacity. like dragging in other files and creating a multi-track style view, so you can move audio to be in the exact position you would like it to be a pretty easy learning curve. it’s free it hits in at number 3 on our list of best audio editing software.
- For soft, it has a clean and customizable user interface
- You can record, import and export multiple tracks and saves them as one audio file.
- It provides an excellent background removal feature.
- Various audio effect features like normalize effect, amplify effect which can change the volume of a selected audio track, equalization effects can make your work more appreciable.
- Its compressor effect reduces the dynamic range of audio.
- It also provides a silent audio tool.
- Audio auto-ducking
- windows, Linux, Mac
- system memory 500MB and above
- 20MB hard drive space
Another best audio editing software that comes on the list is FL studio, a very smooth interface, and easy-to-understand features make it popular.
Because of its easy interface and easy-to-understand feature, beginners are liking it more. It gives you some pre-build templates which are very helpful to learn.
For more powerful instruments effects and tools like Ableton 10, there are tons of great learning resources available in FL Studio audio editing software.
FL Studio has a unique workflow, in that it keeps the different stages of production separately. You can add sounds and instruments to the channel.
It also shines when it comes to MIDI editing and sound design as the piano roll is excellent the Edison audio sampler allows you to sculpt different samples in different ways with ease and the native.
Its main floor is the way it handles audio recording it is inefficient when compared with other audio editing software.
FL Studio can be purchased in four different editions, for a one-time payment that gives you a lifetime update. you’ll never need to pay again to update the software.
- Fl studio added some of the new features like frequency synthesizer which helps in increasing or decreasing audio frequency, instrument tuner, etc…
- It provides lifetime free updates.
- Because of the great range of in-build samples and plugins, it looks very simple and it has also good MIDI support.
- Compatible with all devices like mobile, tab, and pcs.
- The note programming features make plotting notes more visual.
- Windows: 8.1,10 or later, 4GB free disk, 4GB Ram
- macOS: 10.13.6(high sierra) or later, 4GB disk and 4GB Ram
implementing hardware such as Ableton’s Push, Ableton Live has a great workflow and part, due to its compact layout. it comes with powerful instruments, such as the synth, devices wavetable, and operator. and sampler devices simpler and sampler it also comes with a wide variety of audio effects. MIDI effects and sample sound sit ideal for some design work thanks to the instrument and effect racks which offer endless modulation possibilities.
these allow you to connect multiple different parameters to macro knobs add layers using different chains. and more another standout feature.
Ableton live have the ability to edit multiple MIDI clips within a single view, Ableton Live is one of the most popular audio editing software.
and has tons of great resources you can learn everything you need to know about the software with YouTube tutorials, website articles, forum posts, and Reddit communities. Ableton Live manual is also well worth reading.
now Ableton Live is known for being a dog, that has dual workflows or dual views, known as session view. you can launch any number of clips in a row to play simultaneously and in a quantized manner and they can keep on playing in a loop until you stop them.
this makes the session view good for performing on stage because it lets you play sounds on the fly while staying in time. so it lets you improvise with little risk as far as timing goes,
it’s also great for sketching out all ideas quickly because you can just drag and drop sounds and everything plays in time. apart from adding sounds like loops and samples onto the clip, slots you can also add in MIDI clips.
Ableton Live can be purchased in three different versions. check out the comparison of included features on their website. you can also purchase the max for live expansion.
- Ableton Live comes with its own software instruments that let you create sounds play melodies and program. these include the drum, rack, etc…
- Ableton Live also comes with effect plugins, and for effects Ableton Live has up to 46 audio effect plugins, ranging from essential one stuff like compressors eq and reverb.
- more creative use plug-ins like vinyl distortion pedal amp and frequency shifter and these can be placed in either audio tracks too which hold actual audio clips or in MIDI tracks.
- windows: windows 7,8,10, 4GB Ram, Intel core i5
- macOs: macOs capitan 10.11.6 to catalina 10.15.7,4 GB Ram, Intel core duo/i5
Reaper this one has been making its way into more and more studios. all the time it gives you that traditional workflow that someone likes. and if you’ve worked with Pro Tools or like the look of Pro Tools Reaper is very similar and most of the shortcuts are the same.
you get a large variety of effects with It, reaper is great for bands and home studio owners that want a budget-friendly but very powerful digital audio workstation. but of course, solo and beat creators can take advantage of this powerful audio editing software. and get great results as well.
The reaper will give you professional audio recording and audio editing software. a license is just$60 for an individual or just $200 for commercial use you can download the reaper demo and it’s completely unlocked for 90 days. you can continue using it in trial mode for as long as you like.
- windows: windows 7,8,10,
- Mac: macOS 10.5-11
- Linux: GTK+3 and ALSA
Cubase 10 by Steinberg, the original creators of the VST plug-in format Cubase 10 main focus is on audio work and mixing. The way it handles these two areas of production is outstanding and makes it an excellent audio editing software.
it has arguably the best mixer of any audio editing software providing an extremely efficient workflow for mixing tracks. the Cubase 10mix console is inspired by analog mixing. Every track has a channel strip with all the common mixing folks and all parameters can be altered from one screen.
The software comes with great effects and some decent instruments. Cubase’s most notable cons are its modulation capabilities. it lacks a macro nobs feature and the fact that a USB dongle is required to run the software.
- Windows: Windows XP,sp2 and 7, 1 GB of Ram,4 GB of free HD space
- Mac: macOS 10.5.5, 10.6, 1 GB Ram, 4GB of free HD space
Studio one is hugely impressive especially considering it is one of the newer audio editing software in the market. the developers seem to have taken most of the best features from other audio editing software and put them all into one software.
This software is packed with features that all work extremely well. the studio also comes with Melodyne integrated into the software. the main downside to choosing this audio editing software is that its stock synths aren’t as powerful as with other audio editing software. and that the Run has many resources available for learning at Studio One.
It comes in three different versions prime which is free artist and professional.
- Windows: Windows 10, 4 GB Ram, 20 GB free hard drive space
- Mac: macOS 10.13, 4 GB Ram, 20 GB free hard drive space
Pro Tools is currently the industry standard for professional audio editing and recording software. it handles hardware integration and recording extremely well. and its audio editing capabilities are outstanding.
It also works very well with video it comes with great effects for mixing and some decent instruments too. the software’s MIDI system is generally regarded as its weakest point. it’s also worth mentioning that a USB dongle is required to run the software.
avid recently ditched numbered major updates for Pro Tools and has opted to remove the version number from its name. for good this tied in with a decision to make Pro Tools a paid subscription software users must pay a monthly payment to have access to the software.
- Windows: Windows 10, Intel i5, 4GB Ram, 15GB disk space
- Mac: macOS 10.13.6, Intel i5, 4GB Ram, 15GB disk space
Reason 11 by reason Studios. Software reason 11 is designed to imitate working with hardware devices with the click of a button. You can flip the rack to see the cabling at the back of the devices. The signal routing can then be altered providing tons of sound design possibilities.
Reason 11 comes with a huge array of great devices including audio and MIDI effects, instruments, and extra tools for modulation and more flex routing. reason 11 instruments allow you to do just about anything, for example, it includes wavetable FM phase modulation, additive, subtractive and granular synthesis. along with percussion cinematic effects. piano and human choir instruments and many more.
the software also features an analog-style mix console reason 11s audio editing capabilities are lacking when compared with other audio editing software.
That being said the reason 11 is available for purchase as a VST plugin to be used within other audio editing software. Reason 11 as a studio can be purchased in three different versions.
- Windows: Windows 7 or later, Intel dual-core, 4GB Ram, 12Gb of storage space
- Mac: macOS 10.11 or later, Intel, 4GB Ram, 12GB of storage space
MAGIX Acid Pro one of the cool features of acid Pro is the synaptic stem maker, this allows you to take any song that you want to remix or just grab a sample from and it separates the components into individual tracks. so you can remove parts or just extract the instruments or vocals that you want.
Use the chopper tool to not only chop your samples up but also lets you rearrange your chop loops by using a MIDI controller.
If you want to use it as a more traditional DAW, don’t worry acid Pro can handle multi-track recording with ease too. so if you want to take a break from remix in or maybe you want to add some of your tracks to the mix it’s very capable of doing that.
It will give some instruments and effects including melody, an essential which is a great pitch correction tool.
- Windows: Windows 8,10, multicore or multiprocessor, 1GB Ram, 700MB hard drive space.
now we are speaking about free production software. this next audio editing software is completely free this is a cakewalk. by band lab formerly known as sonar platinum, which is a free and powerful audio editing software.
It has that traditional layout and workflow, plus you get several instrument effects and analog-style channel strips, included with it.
band lab updates cakewalk all the time so it’s not like it’s an abandoned piece of software, the idea is to use it to get people into their community.
There are no limitations with cakewalk you can record full bands drum sets, or whatever. if you’re a solo artist or someone that works with MIDI a lot you can easily access the piano roll and all the features to make on your own. This is a great choice for bands and home studio owners.
- Windows: windows 7,8,10, Intel i5, 4GB Ram, 5Gb hard drive space
on a tight budget but don’t let the price fool you cakewalk is very capable of making high-quality editing. this next program really doesn’t get the attention that it deserves this is Harrison Mixbus.
Harrison has been making recording consoles for over40 years this audio editing software gives you the power of an actual studio console. with all of the great features of modern digital audio editing software.
The mixing workflow of Mixbus is where it shines as the mixer, is very well laid out. With many of the key features easily accessible right on the screen, there’s no clicking and searching for things.
This one can be great for bands, beatmakers, and pretty much for any studio. if you want to get that classic analog feel in an easy-to-use program gives Harrison Mixbus.
- Windows: Windows XP/7, 2GB Ram, 250MB hard drive space
- Mac: macOS 10.6.8, 10.16, 2GB Ram, 250MB hard drive space
A try next on the list is traction waveform 11traction does have a unique and speedy workflow everything can be accessed on a single screen. and you can easily modify the UI to suit your style.
you get some decent instruments with waveform11 Pro and some great effects and auto-tune waveform can be great for full bands, solo artists, and beatmakers. or creators of other electronic styles.
the chord track can speed up your creation or even inspire it. this has become my go-to program lately it loads up quickly, runs smooth and I like the layout.
you can download the unlimited free version of waveform 11. Called waveform free and experience it for yourself.
- Windows: Windows 7,8,10, Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 2GB Ram
- Mac: macOs x 10.9/later, Intel core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 2GB Ram
- Linux: Ubuntu 16.04, Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 2GB Ram
Next on the list of best audio editing software of 2021 is the acoustic Mixcraft this one is fairly popular amongst guitar players and solo. But it can be used with full bands and beat creators. as it comes with over 7500 loops so if you’re someone that likes to work with loops and samples this might be for you.
You also get a decent collection of effects and instruments with Mixcraft. and where it shines. its workflow and ease of use if you’re looking for an all-in-one package with an easy-to-use workflow be sure to check out mix craft 9.
I know several ones that love this software and it just might be the perfect one for you. there are two editions the recording studio Edition, and the pro studio edition.
prices start at just $75 and you can use their free14-day trial to give it a test drive up.
- Windows: windows 7,8,10, 8GB Ram, 1.8 GHz Dual core
And finally a bonus mention and shout out to twisted wave. this audio editor can do much more than just edit waveforms.
twisted wave gets a certifiable bonus, mention in our list of best audio editing software.
You will feel at home inside twisted wave, it’s a one-time fee to get this software. there are some fantastic things you can do inside batch processing, for instance. you can add actions, such as trimming silences.
Batch processing is the fact that you can export a waveform image. you can make the waveform be the colors you would like it to be.
So these are our recommended top audio editing and recording software, we hope you like it. These all-audio editing software’s are well tested and from top reviews from the user.
you may also like best video editing software